14 July 2010

Day 4 As A Bicycle Commuter

So far, so good it seems. Although I have come to love the fog and immensely dislike the sun. It's amazing how quickly you heat up even when it's chilly outside. Today is a gorgeous day... which means this ride into town is going to be brutal. The sun will be bearing down on me the entire time. Gotta love California... what is it? The sunshine state, right? Damn it! I am from Alaska! We don't have sun up there! Oh well, I guess I get to work on my tan today. I even promised Nick that I would put on sunscreen, which I already did. (Time to pat myself on the back, maybe I have finally learned!)

I'd say the most important thing about bicycle commuting is being very strategic about what you need and where you intend to get it... and how exactly are you going to carry it. I tried to stock up on any larger items before Nick left with the vehicle. The day I run out of water is going to be interesting.

I am determined to not accept rides from people unless I absolutely have to. Today and tomorrow I have to make the 15+ mile ride into town. It shouldn't take too long, other than the fact that its long, relatively straight and boring. Coming home is going to be a challenge with the afternoon wind that kicks up. This should be a good workout at least. I think I have already started losing weight since Nick has been gone! Because of a) all of the cycling and b) Nick was the cook. I have been trying to come up with meals, but it usually just ends up being a bunch of sauteed vegetables because its super simple. But that's a good thing, right?!

My computer on my bike has messed up. It will track cadence but neither speed nor distance. AHH! I'm pretty bummed because I wanted to track my mileage over the next six weeks. I need to make a run by the bike shop to see if they can fix it! That will be strategically planned into my day... if I can find the place!

Well it's time to take off! I don't want to be late for my doctors appointment. It's in 3 hours but I think there is a good chance I might get lost. And as my grandfather always said, if you're not ten minutes early... you're late.

1 comment:

  1. That is intense... a 30 mile or so round trip commute. I can't even being to imagine it. Then again biking it would be a lot easier than running it... Kudos to you! Me and my little family are good. We get to move into our house this week we hope. Then wait for baby Tristan to come!

    ReplyDelete